In just a few days, many shoppers will be out early to find those big bargains on Black Friday or online for Cyber Monday, but the criminals will be out too. Here are some great tips to help you shop safely while getting those great holiday bargains throughout the holiday season.
- Do not buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead by taking a friend with you.
- Shop online with companies you know and trust. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
- Save all receipts. Print and save all confirmations from your online purchases.
- Consider alternate options to pay for your merchandise, such as one time or multi-use disposable credit cards or money orders, at online stores and auction sites.
- Deter pickpockets.Carry your purse close to your body or your wallet inside a coat or front trouser pocket.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Check the back seat and around the car before getting in.
- Do not leave packages visible in your car windows.Lock them in the trunk or, if possible, take them directly home.
- If you are doing late night shopping ask an employee to walk you to your car or wait for another group of shoppers to leave at the same time as you do. Remember there is safety in numbers.
- If you are having packages delivered while you are at work consider having the packages delivered to your work, or to a neighbor who is home during the day or ask a neighbor to watch for the packages and bring them in when they arrive. There have been reports of packages in Pine Hollow being taken from front doors or items missing from the packages